Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tool Number Two ~ Find YOUR Best Fit


There is no one food plan out there for losing weight that will work best for everyone. Two people can weigh exactly the same and even measure the same in, say... the waist, yet a pair of jeans will fit one perfectly and be too tight in the hips on the other. In the same way, one food plan can fit one person perfectly, yet be a disaster for someone else.

If what you're doing now isn't working for you (after giving it at least a few days), don't give up hope. Just keep searching until you find what will work. Even if you've already tried several different food plans, there is always one more little thing you can change that might make a huge difference. Changing bad eating habits into good ones isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be so hard that we're miserable all the time. In fact, eating healthier should start to feel very good after a few days.

The key is to make it fun and interesting. Treat it like a game, a game in which you win once you find the right answer. Roll the dice, so to speak. Did it land on, "More protein, less carbs from grains like bread and pasta"? Try that this week. Did it land on, "Eat less protein/add more healthy carbs?" Then try that. Whatever you haven't tried yet, pick something and try it. Or... if something was working for you, but you slacked off on it, then go back to that. Just keep "trying on" different plans until you find what fits you the best. It can be frustrating "trying on so many different outfits," but that perfect "outfit" (i.e., food plan) might be on the very next "rack" over. Keep trying.

For me personally, I am finding that the new food plan I've been on isn't working so great for me after all. I am sure it is working great and will work great for a lot of people, but my body doesn't seem to like it too much. It has left me quite bloated much of the time, which at first I thought might simply be the increase in vegetables and fruits, but it has been long enough now for my body to have adjusted. And my appetite has been slowly increasing over time. My guess is that it's too carb-rich for me, and doesn't have enough protein for my particular body type and the hard core workouts I've started doing again.

It's disappointing, especially after spending money on the book, but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried. My original plan was to stick it out for the duration of the plan no matter what, but my body is clearly revolting and it is making me miserable, and getting healthy isn't supposed to be miserable.

So for today, I am back to calorie counting and adding a little more protein and just doing the best I can until my trip to the grocery store tomorrow. Speaking of which, this week I will be challenging myself to stick to a food budget of only $70 for the three of us, so that I can start putting more money in savings as well as have more money for other things. Wish me luck. It will definitely be a challenge.





No comments:

Post a Comment